In a digital world in which the majority of communication occurs over the Internet, via emails, websites, instant messengers, articles, and more, perfectly edited and succinct text is the only acceptable option. If you want a client, partner, or consumer to find your company inept immediately, then greet them with typos and grammatical errors that’ll have them questioning your legitimacy.
Of course, we can’t catch spelling errors and typos when we get lost in a train of thought, typing feverishly for 30-minutes at a time. It’s human nature to miss grammatical mistakes, which is why it’s paramount that we spend time proofreading the piece once it’s all said and done.
So, why proofread? Here are a just a few reasons why it’s more important than anything else:
- Credibility: Think about the last time you ended up on a website with spelling errors. Did you not immediately judge that company and assume they couldn’t be bothered to invest in a little proofreading assistance? Of course you did! There are no excuses for public typos like that, which is why your credibility is at stake.
- Google Rankings: If you’re publishing content on your company website — articles, blogs, or simply website text — Google punishes sites that are littered with misspellings. So, if you want your company to perform well in Google search rankings, you need to ensure proofreading is part of the daily process.
- Authority: If you want to be seen as the authoritative figure on the product or service you’re selling, then you want all of the content you provide to investors and clients to be perfectly written and polished. How can you claim such a title when you can’t even create textual content that’s free of mistakes? It shows these people that you’re the best of the best and never accept anything less than that.
- Continuity: Continuity is an important part of effective business branding, which is why proofreading is especially essential. Ensuring that all of the text on everything you distribute from your company is perfectly proofed will play into your branding as a continuously reliable and respectable company.
- Competitive Edge: Lack of proofreading is a professional blunder we see all over the place online. If you want a competitive edge that’ll really win you new clients, then providing perfect writing every single time will definitely help you surpass the competition.
Proofread Your Way to Business Success
There are our top proofreading tips to hopefully convince you of the critical value of this kind of service. It’s not hard to find proofers, nor is it expensive, which means you definitely want to consider embedding this kind of overview into your workflow management process.