Clearly defined roles among team members are imperative for efficient workflow. While employee responsibilities often cross over several areas, there are a few underlying roles that should remain static.
The primary responsibility of the Media Assistant (MA) is to support the Media Supervisor (MS) and/or Media Buyer (MB) in his/her day-to-day activities.
The MA works to develop a knowledge base in preparation for planning, evaluating and buying advertising media across a variety of venues, including but not limited to television, cable, radio, outdoor, newspaper, magazine, and Internet.
The MA reports directly to the Media Supervisor (MS). This is an entry-level position.
• Attends daily (or weekly) production meeting
• Alerts MB and Traffic Manager if deadlines cannot be met
• Efficiently uses Word® and Excel® and is PC/Mac and Powerpoint®/Keynote® proficient
• Possesses strong math skills and the ability to multi-task
• Assists with the monitoring and maintenance of all media projects and buying assignments
• Able to work efficiently under tight deadlines
• Monitors trade publications for new media trends
• Assists with smaller proposal evaluations and client media plans
• Collects media research data and assists in writing competitive reports
• Understands various media and their applications against Client strategies, goals
• Understands the value and usefulness of traditional, digital and emerging media
• Assists in the development of media plans for existing and prospective clients
• Prepares estimates, insertion orders (as requested)
• Makes media space reservations (as requested)
• Develops the skills necessary to advance to the position of MB