Clearly defined roles among team members are imperative for efficient workflow. While employee responsibilities often cross over several areas, there are a few underlying roles that should remain static.
The primary responsibility of the Account Executive (AE) is to maintain daily contact between the agency (or other creative service firm) and its clients. S/he works to establish project objectives and obtain background information through said client contact. Included in such information is budgetary limitations, special requirements, due dates, client objectives, and other pertinent details.
Internally, the AE interfaces with various departments, on a daily basis, to move projects forward — creative, media, PR, interactive, and traffic.
S/he provides maximum information to the Traffic Manager via face-to-face communication, Client Contact Reports (CCR), Change Orders, etc., as well as educates clients regarding the timing required for the execution of various jobs, to avoid scheduling conflicts.
The AE has major input in the development of strategic marketing plans and is responsible for their execution. S/he also attempts to gain new business from existing clients.
• Handles day-to-day activities for respective clients
• Oversees execution of approved programs
• Quickly and accurately relays changes to internal team
• Effectively presents, sells and defends agency work to clients
• Keeps apprised of clients’ brands/products/services/market developments
• Assists in preparing client invoices/proposals/marketing communications
• Assists in preparing strategic marketing/media/PR plans
• Stays apprised of progress of clients’ projects through Traffic Manager
• Regularly responds to client calls and e-mail
• Works with new media team to ensure cohesion of marketing efforts
• Reviews materials (i.e. copy/layouts/production art) and coordinates approval
• Reviews billing prior to release and helps ensure prompt collection of AR
• Coordinates project timing and budgets with internal team
• Keeps Account Coordinator (AC) informed of client activities
• Represents agency at industry and community functions
• Ensures materials undergo approval process before being presented to client/suppliers